Many years ago, when I was training as a herbalist, Richard Schulze introduced us to his “Plague Formula”. When he was in herbal school, Dr Christopher taught a Plague Formula which was complicated and challenging to make (it also tasted awful!) I don’t remember all the herbs in the formula, but I do remember making it a couple of times after I graduated and vowing never to do it again!
Richard wanted a formula that was much less complicated and created his Plague Formula, which he later renamed “Super Tonic”. Looking back through my handwritten notes from that time, on Thursday 8th August, 1985, he gave us the following:
“Plague Formula” – antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, decongestant.
Ingredients – equal parts of the following fresh produce (1 cup of each chopped):
- Capsicum fruit
- Garlic cloves
- Ginger root
- Horseradish root
- Onions – white
- Place in a large glass container with a tight-fitting lid (a Kilner or Mason jar is ideal – 1½ – 2 litres size).
- Fill the jar with Apple Cider Vinegar, leaving a gap at the top to make it easy to shake the jar daily.
- Stir the contents well and close the lid tightly.
- Label the jar with the contents and date made, and place in a cupboard or cover with a towel to keep out the light.
- Shake daily for 14 days and then press out and pour into dark glass bottles. Label and store in the fridge for up to 12 months.
So there you have it – Dr. Richard Schulze’s famous “Cure-All”! No self-respecting germ will survive against this amazing tonic!! It is anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. Has been used for everything from the common cold to plagues! Also makes a great salad dressing, when mixed with organic olive oil.
When my Sons were teenagers and still living at home, I paid them to make batches up for my shop and clinic and it was very popular, especially in the winter! We changed things up a bit by juicing the ingredients and mixing the juice with the pulp and cider vinegar to make a very potent formula! Nowadays I also add equal parts of turmeric root to make it even more powerful.
Kelly Holden, MH, MGNC (Assoc.)